Customer miseducation is the root cause of your No Fault Found issues
Many reverse logistics platforms assume a customer issue is a configuration, application, or hardware issue.
In several cases, they are right: the removal of a misbehaving app, a software update or even a reflash or physical repair is needed.
However, as evidenced by a large number of NFFs (“no fault found” cases) and avoidable repairs it is often customer misuse caused by a lack of product knowledge that is at fault.
To illustrate this, here are some common smartphone issues that generate support calls (and often a device being sent to a repairer) when nothing is wrong with the device itself:
- Devices using a similar looking charger that is not the right amperage, resulting in a trickle charge. This accounts for a surprisingly large number of devices being submitted for repair due to “battery issues”.
- Customers reporting problems where it is simply the case that the volume is turned down. This can account for 4% of devices being submitted for repair with “audio issues”!
- Customers reporting battery issues after using the device for several hours with video streaming and graphically intensive games.
- Poor quality apps that drain battery excessively.
- Poor storage management that leads to lack of memory and subsequent issues (performance, inability to send SMS, etc.).
- Viruses due to no virus protection being installed.
- Misunderstanding of the device’s capabilities – file formats supported, internal memory, network bands supported, etc.
Its not just related to repairs either, customers:
- Complaining about excess charges due to in-app purchases on “free” apps.
- Not understanding their bills.
- Not understanding how to transfer data from an old device.
- Returning products as they do not understand the features.
- Losing data due to weak passwords or spyware apps.
Any diagnostics suite must also take into account education as a cure as well as or instead of a factory reset – education is a low-cost, less-intrusive alternative that must exist alongside traditional approaches.
Even better, proactive education should be considered alongside customer on-boarding, but that’s a topic covered in another article.
Download the PDF version of this article here.
If you want to learn more about likewize and our services, get in touch.